Monday, February 8, 2010

What was essential music?

What bands or songsor artists were essential to you growing up?

Off the top of my head:

"Eye of the Tiger" was the first song I ever loved. I was eight, or something.
"Brandy (You're a fine girl)" was the first good song I ever loved, maybe I was ten now.
When I was twelve, I think I listened to Supertramp's "Breakfast in America" until the tape wore out.

Then in high school:
Springsteen's "Born to Run"
Prince in the 80s.
The Replacements "Let it Be" changed my life.

I loved Dire Straits too. Why am I embarrassed to admit that now?

John Hiatt, John Mellencamp - heartland sincerity.

Harry Chapin, Jim Croce, James Taylor - 70s sincerity

I've got to think about this stuff some more. I know I'm forgetting a lot.

1 comment:

  1. Brandy was on the juke box at the Buffalo - an old ice cream shop in Chicago that my Dad would take me to on the weekends I spent with him. I LOVED that song!

    ReplyDelete